You are not logged in.

#1 15 Feb 2019 10:34

tomhsiung

To create command categories according to their application

Hello,

I have a suggestion. Simply list all commands by alphabetic order is not quite useful. However, if we firstly categorize each command according to its application, like networking, system management, etc, would be much better to Linux learners. By this way, we can browse each command we want, even we don't know the name of the command.

Tom

#2 15 Feb 2019 13:18

Simon Sheppard
Admin
Website

Re: To create command categories according to their application

Hi Tom,
I have tried something like this for the Windows CMD section (https://ss64.com/nt/commands.html) and while it did seem like a good idea when I look at the server logs almost nobody uses it.
The majority of traffic is from people googling a specific command.
Also I think when people are looking for help about how to perform some task they will learn more from browing the Syntax and Examples page (https://ss64.com/bash/syntax.html) rather than diving right into individual commands. I do need to add a few more examples to that page.

#3 16 Feb 2019 15:19

tomhsiung

Hello, Simon

However, for a Linux learner, I must firstly know the correct command to a specific purpose. I am focusing on networking. For example, I need to test a network performance to a server, but I have never known a command called "mtr" until yesterday. If the commands are categorized, I could refer the the "Network section", and find this command. It is helpful for junior learners.

Tom

#4 16 Feb 2019 19:10

Simon Sheppard
Admin
Website

I hear what you say but I think the majority of people will prefer to use the search box for this, partly because there are lots of commands which span more than one area.

On all the detail pages the search box will build a Google search specific to that part of the site, so just searching for 'network' will create the Google search string:
network site:ss64.com/bash/

and the very first result from that is "mtr"

Board footer