You are not logged in.

#1 03 Feb 2018 14:43

altikaka

Do we really need Shell Cmdlets ??

As a noob to Shell cmds, perhaps someone could tell me why we need them ?

My reason for so asking is that if I enter a 'working' command into the RUN box (and not all cmdlets seem to work), I am taken to the appropriate destination, but I am not aware of any way to save the RUN command as a shortcut.
So if I want to repeat the process at a later date, I have to re-enter the cmd into the RUN box
However, once at my destination folder, I can save the file path and then create a shortcut on the desktop, which I can reuse whenever I want.

altikaka

#2 03 Feb 2018 18:30

Simon Sheppard
Admin
Website

Re: Do we really need Shell Cmdlets ??

It's not quite clear what you are looking for, cmdlets are a PowerShell thing but the rest of your question sounds like you just want to create a shortcut to a folder.

To quickly open Start > Run, you dont need a shortcut, it's available through the Windows + R keyboard shortcut.

#3 04 Feb 2018 10:46

altikaka

Thanks Simon for your response.
As I stated, I'm a noob at this, and I meant shell cmds not powershell cmds.
But to get back to where I was, Yes I thought that (desktop)shortcuts would do just as well as a shell cmd in that you finish up staring at a folder.
And at least with a (desktop)shortcut your action is repeatable, whereas with RUN you have to enter your command again.
Or have I got the 'wrong end of the stick'?
altikaka

#4 05 Feb 2018 17:07

RG

If desktop shortcuts do what you need then you should use them. However, there may be times when you want to automate some process in a bat file. Then you will need to use the Shell commands.

Windows Shell Scripting and InstallShield

Board footer