You are not logged in.

#1 01 Aug 2009 02:08

Jason404

Console text editor required - or should I get into Vim ??

When I needed to make a quick change to a batch file or text file, I often used EDIT, in XP/2003.  But from Vista onwards, EDIT has disappeared.  It was pretty clunky anyway.

So I am looking for a console text editor now.  Have you got any suggestions?

I have been looking at Vim, but the problem with Vim is that it is not just a simple .exe file that I can keep in my commands folder, which I syncronise between my OS installations.

Vim also seems to be hard to learn.  While I would like to get into using it, it seems like a big commitment.

#2 01 Aug 2009 12:27

bluesxman

Re: Console text editor required - or should I get into Vim ??

I don't personally use a console editor on Windows, I do almost all of my CMD scripting in TextPad.  From my experience using vi-like editors on UNIX/Linux, I confess they are buggers to learn, but once it clicks it's worth the effort.  You'll probably have to keep a command reference card in front of you for a while though.

cmd | *sh | ruby | chef

#3 17 Aug 2009 14:15

jaffamuffin

vim is fairly easy to pickup the basic commands, like moving about, deleting and inserting and searching. You should be able to get up to 'edit' / 'notepad' standards in about 15 mins.

It does take time to learn the more advanced commands. But it's well worth it, the power available when you join up a few simple commands is immense.

vim.org has tons of good info.

and learning vim, means just about any system you use will have some version of vim installed.

I avoid gvim, and just use console versions.

#4 20 Nov 2015 23:43

Giacomo

Old topic, I know.

Jason404 wrote:

I often used EDIT, in XP/2003.  But from Vista onwards, EDIT has disappeared.

I just want the reader to know that EDIT is still present in Windows 32 bit, at least Windows 7. It is a 16 bit application and, because of this, it is not present in 64 bit versions of Windows.

#5 21 Nov 2015 03:46

Aacini

Yes. I have EDIT in my "modern" (more or less) Windows 8.1 32-bit lap-top...

Board footer