You are not logged in.

#1 29 Jun 2010 08:55

mistersleep

Constantly generating files with the wrong permissions

Hi.  I have a file sharing server running Linux (knoppix). One WinXP computer regularly generates files onto the server in a folder called 'DIRECTORY', but no one else has permissions to use them. By default the files are created with permissions set to '-rw-------'. so I type

sudo chmod ugo=rwx -R DIRECTORY/

and everyone can use the files.  Great.  But after that, any new files the XP machine makes, will have '-rw-------' permissions. 

Is there a way to set up that directory so that all the files inside will be accessible to everyone, no matter who puts them there, or when they're created?  I just don't want to change the permissions every time a new file is created there.

Cheers,
Mike

#2 29 Jun 2010 18:26

Simon Sheppard
Admin
Website

Re: Constantly generating files with the wrong permissions

If the users were just logging in via Unix then 'umask' would do this. To set permissions inheritance you will need to either setup ACLs or I think you may be able to tweak the Samba config.

see here:
http://www.coin-c.com/knoppix/knoppix-o … ap15_sect1

#3 01 Jul 2010 06:12

mistersleep

Re: Constantly generating files with the wrong permissions

Thanks.  I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm starting to think that I've got a problem smb.conf file.  I'll try and find a more appropriate forum.  Thanks again.

Board footer