You are not logged in.

#1 07 Sep 2019 08:47

Rekrul

Would someone ******PLEASE****** fix the damn forum logout problem????

I just typed a fairly long message detailing my problem and like an idiot I tried to preview my message only to find that I'd been logged out of the forum and my message was now gone.

This is literally the only forum on the entire frigging net that I've ever had this problem on!

Every single other forum lets you stay logged in as long as you want or if it does log you out, it simply asks you to log back in while preserving your message.

I find it really ironic (besides being infuriating) that a forum dedicated to coding is so badly coded itself that it keeps logging me out and throwing away the message that I wasted my time typing in.

I now have a splitting headache and don't feel like typing it all again.

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE FIX THIS DAMN PROBLEM?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE FIX THIS DAMN PROBLEM?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Rekrul (07 Sep 2019 09:57)

#2 07 Sep 2019 14:38

Simon Sheppard
Admin
Website

Re: Would someone ******PLEASE****** fix the damn forum logout problem????

I feel your pain!

A workaround is to just hit [preview] as soon as you have typed a few words, and then hit [preview] again before actually posting, if that fails you can then copy the text from the edit box before having to log in again /losing the text.
This may vary by browser, but if you have the browser set to remember your password then just pressing [preview] should be enough to keep the session active.

The forum is based on FluxBB and this has been a known issue with all the 1.x versions (see here for more complaints)

The FluxxBB people have been working for the last 4 years on an upgrade/replacement called FluxBB 2.0 which should be better at handling this, at present it is about to move from Alpha to Beta status so probably still 6 months or so from a full release.

The problem I have is that the new version is a radically different design and is going to be based on Flarum - here is a sample of what that looks like https://discuss.flarum.org/

So I'm still unsure whether to go with this new direction or to switch over to a more traditional forum like phpBB. The difficulty with phpBB is that there is no conversion utility available from FluxBB to phpBB so that would mean making the current forum read-only and starting again from scratch with everyone having to re-register.

If anyone has any thoughts or preferences around this, I'd be keen to hear them.

#3 08 Sep 2019 08:35

Rekrul

Simon Sheppard wrote:

I feel your pain!

A workaround is to just hit [preview] as soon as you have typed a few words, and then hit [preview] again before actually posting, if that fails you can then copy the text from the edit box before having to log in again /losing the text.
This may vary by browser, but if you have the browser set to remember your password then just pressing [preview] should be enough to keep the session active.

When I'm coming here fairly often, I always try to remember to copy my text before trying to preview it, but if I haven't been here in a while, I forget.

Simon Sheppard wrote:

The FluxxBB people have been working for the last 4 years on an upgrade/replacement called FluxBB 2.0 which should be better at handling this, at present it is about to move from Alpha to Beta status so probably still 6 months or so from a full release.

The problem I have is that the new version is a radically different design and is going to be based on Flarum - here is a sample of what that looks like https://discuss.flarum.org/

For what it's worth, I don't like that design at all.

You'd think they could have just made a patch for this issue. I mean, logically, if the forum only lets logged in users post, how would someone be trying to use the preview/post function if they hadn't previously logged in? And if they had previously logged in, why is it trying to log them out so soon? I know I can sometimes take a while entering a message, editing it, etc, but I didn't think I took that long!

I also just noticed another little annoyance; If there are unmatched tags, it won't let you preview the message at all. Not a big deal, just kind of annoying.

#4 27 Jul 2021 20:19

Simon Sheppard
Admin
Website

The new phpBB forum is here and it manages to remember your login:

https://ss64.org/

Board footer