You are not logged in.

#1 05 May 2019 10:37

rycho

Password generator

Just for your information: for my password generator (which is based on your ss64.com/pass) I'm using a few additional cool features:

• fingerprinting: every time I pass the master password there is an additional hash computed and its last four hex digits are printed on the screen. Thanks to that I know I didn't make a typo in the master password which is extremely useful when I'm registering a new account on some page and the registering page will not tell me that the login or password is incorrect when there is a typo in the master password. If I try to login to that page and type the master password correctly the password will be different then when I was registering.

• all the pages are not just strings but javascript objects. they contain:

• separate "seed" for every page. in most cases this is the same as the name of the page but occasionally can be changed in case when the users database of the page is compromised

• login (in case I forget)

• password generation options e.g. limit length to n chars (default is 32), use special characters (default is alphanumeric)

• with this algorithm I can generate not only passwords but also 4-digit pins for my phones and bank card.... actually I'm not generating them but storing them i.e. I got the original pin first, then I use reverse method which for numeric pins is a simple subtraction and this way I obtain the seed for the pin. When I want to retrieve the original pin the page takes the seed and adds some number obtained by hashing the master password and prints last four decimal digits

• the list of the pages and their metadata is hardcoded in the js file and is stored in a private git repo and backed up

• one last tiny thing: I don't have the "generate" button, the passwords are generated after each keystroke, this is fast for my 50 passwords and a little bit more convenient

#2 01 Jul 2020 20:21

Cadelo

Re: Password generator

Hi,
These are good features! Interesting to see what's new in password generator programming.
I think it's very useful following the increase of hackings during lockdown and crisis.

#3 06 Jun 2021 12:22

rycho

Re: Password generator

I've recently added a few new features to my password generator:

• Automatic master password widget clearing: after 60 seconds the input field for master password is cleared. This prevents from gaining access to all of my passwords by whoever gets physical access to my computer or phone with master password entered. Sometimes I forget that I have the password generator tab open in browser and there were times I was leaving the master password lying there for hours

• Convenient button to erase content of the clipboard (there were times I was leaving one of the passwords lying in the clipboard for hours, especially in phone where clipboard is much less often used)

• Automatic erasing clipboard content: I wanted to make it but it didn't work: firefox complained that there is an action on clipboard and action is unrelated to user action (button pressed or mouse click) hence was blocked.

• a few convenient js/css upgrades like dividing passwords into groups and toggle show/hide groups and incorporating responsive css (auto adjust layout to screen width so there is one html file for both desktop and mobile)

Board footer