#1 31 Dec 2009 14:37

Balakrishna Reddy

want to become a Oracle DBA

i want to become a oracle dba presently iam perusing MCA final year and i got certified by Oracle as an Associate (10g DBA). Is companies recruit the freshers for a DBA position. Plse suggest me

#2 01 Jan 2010 18:00

Simon Sheppard
Super Administrator
Website

Re: want to become a Oracle DBA

The classic career path is: Programmer > Senior Programmer > DBA

So my advice would be to learn SQL and Java and PL/SQL and get your 'foot in the door' with programming.

This is not the only route to a DBA job but its the most common and therefore the most likely to work out.

#3 03 Jan 2010 09:06

Balakrishna Reddy

i got two years of experience as a Oracle DBA prior to persuing my MCA degree presenty iam about to complete my MCA degree with in two months now i want to enter in to industry as a dba plse suggest me

#4 16 Dec 2011 03:33

Opus

One thing that couldn't hurt is an OCP cert.  It is more involved than OCA and could help get your resume noticed.  Programming is not the only path to DBA.  You could also go down the system administration path.  Many DBAs, like myself, are warmed over SSAs, and we often wear both hats for years.  You might be able to find someone who is willing to take you on as a junior DBA.  The requirements are not as demanding, and often only require good learning and communications skills with at least SOME knowledge, however acquired, of the Oracle database.

Also--as Simon says wink--don't shy away from doing what you don't want to do if it is a viable path to what you DO want to do.

Cheers,
Opus

#5 23 Apr 2013 13:00

SKay

Heyyy guys Iam pursuing an Advanced Diploma in Comp Science ....thanx to ss64 i can get a few qns answered...is it possible to develop an application(interface) for an Oracle Database with VB and then marry them...if so how....???

Regards,

SKay

#6 27 Apr 2013 14:38

Simon Sheppard
Super Administrator
Website

SKay wrote:

..is it possible to develop an application(interface) for an Oracle Database with VB and then marry them...if so how....???

Regards,

SKay

The OraFAQ has a few examples http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Visual_Basic
You can even connect a Microsoft Access front end to an Oracle database. To be fair though Java seems to be the more popular choice for Oracle projects.

Board footer