You are not logged in.

#1 08 Oct 2007 16:02

fpetrus

Mount point for network shares

Hello All,

Usually I work with 2 PCs (at the time) and would like to have information in sync in both systems. My documents was solved my sharing the folder in one system and mounting the share in the other, but I am not sure how to solve IE Favorites sharing. I was thinking about sharing the Favorites from one system and mounting it in the other, but I am not sure (or of it is possible) to mount a share in a subdirectory of an existing FS tree. Is it possible? any suggesting so achieve what I need in other way?

Thank you very much!

--
Federico

#2 08 Oct 2007 21:30

daat99
Website

Re: Mount point for network shares

I'm not sure if what you want to do is possible or how to do it but I would go around it.

What I would do is make a login script (batch file that runs when windows starts) that copies the content of the favorites folder in the original (remote) computer to the local computer.

I would also rename the local computer favorites folder before the action and if it was successful than delete the backup folder afterwards.

I always try to help wink
Sometimes I don't know how sad

#3 08 Oct 2007 23:10

fpetrus

Don't you know if it is possible in Windows to mount a share in an arbitrary folder of an existing NTFS tree?

#4 10 Oct 2007 16:32

bluesxman

I believe you can use TweakUI to point various "special" directories (including Favorites) to a different location from the default .  I'd guess (though haven't tried it) that you could probably cause it to look at a mapped share for this, effectively achieving what you're after.

Personally, I've prefer to synchronise the two locations via a scheduled task or something, in case the worst happens on the PC holding the master copy.

cmd | *sh | ruby | chef

Board footer