Resetting an admin's password on OSX being logged in as Root...

Bash shell questions
MigrationUser

Resetting an admin's password on OSX being logged in as Root...

Post by MigrationUser »

08 May 2007 19:37
crome

A lot of times I'm asked to reset customer's password on their macs usually due to them forgetting. This is a major waste of time, in terms of travel. I've tried changing the password via a remote connection, but it asks me for their existing password which is usually unknown in these circumstances. Currently I have to goto the customer's location with an install disc and reset it that way. I was wondering if there was a way to change the customer's password remotely without the need to visit the customer. I do have root access to these systems.

Thanks,

----------------------------

#2 15 Jun 2009 17:11
herne6210

I had a slightly different problem though it may help you out as well.

I bought a new mac, wizzed through the set up wizard, and realised i couldn't "su - root" from a terminal. I didn't remember being asked for a root password during set up.

the way i got round it was to "sudo passwd root"

If you can log in as a root user you should simply be able to "passwd <username>" to change a users password

----------------------------

#3 15 Jun 2009 17:55
Simon Sheppard

Answering cromes question - you should create an admin account on each machine in advance, dont tell the users the admin password. When they forget their own password, connect, login as admin and reset their account - no need to mess with root at all.

Its very rare to need root enabled, just sudo the commands as needed.

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528