The new forum and the old forum

About the forum and SS64 (errata, changes, feedback, suggestions.)
Simon Sheppard

The new forum and the old forum

Post by Simon Sheppard »

The new forum is now here, to login you just need to register.

The old forum is still online and can be found at https://ss64.org/oldforum/

I have migrated just over 10% of the threads on the old forum to this one, it looks like less but that's because a whole thread on the old forum has been condensed into one post, all the migrated posts are still open so you can continue those discussions here on the new forum.

In choosing what to migrate I gave priority to threads with a high google ranking/large number of views and anything thats been linked from the main website. Threads about obviously out of date content (like managing Flash Player) have been left behind.

There are a bunch of nice new features in this forum and Im kicking myself for not moving over a lot sooner!

Enjoy :D
JoeC4281

Re: The new forum and the old forum

Post by JoeC4281 »

There's always the Wayback Machine for a good portion of the old SS64 Forum.

Joe
Simon Sheppard

Post by Simon Sheppard »

Good point Joe, the latest version on Wayback is here, that said I am planning to keep the old forum around for as long as possible. If at some point it drops out of support and becomes a security risk then I will delete all the email addresses and hashed passwords from the database and just leave it all as a read-only archive.

The FluxBB software is in 'maintenance only' mode with no new features being added, so I think it should be possible to keep it running for quite a few years until some underlying technology (like MySQL or PHP) changes in a way that breaks it.

Copying the best of the older posts over to the new forum is mainly so that they can be found easily when using search. 8-)
Simon Sheppard

Post by Simon Sheppard »

As a final part of this migration I have put some redirects in place so that links/bookmarks to old forum posts should all now redirect to the correct page either on the old forum or the equivalent new forum page.
Simon Sheppard

Post by Simon Sheppard »

I have tweaked some of the theme colours so there is less red in the forum alerts and notifications, you may need to do a hard refresh in your web browser to see the changes. New posts will appear with a green icon instead of red.