Robocopy /IM

Microsoft Windows
Simon Sheppard

Robocopy /IM

Post by Simon Sheppard »

I updated the robocopy page yesterday to add the /IM and /COMPRESS options

/IM (include modified) has the help text "include modified files (differing change times)"
which doesn't make sense as copying files with a different last modified time or file size is the default action of Robocopy without any switches.

So I did some testing and it seems you have to change the Archive attribute on both the source and destination and then /IM will copy the file even if nothing else has changed.

It doesn't seem to matter if the archive attribute is set or unset, or even set and then immediately unset again, but both source and destination need to be changed and both need to be set to the same value and then /IM will see the files as having changed enough to trigger a fresh copy.

This doesn't seem very useful, but perhaps there is some other nuance which I'm missing?
workablob

Re: Robocopy /IM

Post by workablob »

I got turned on to Robocopy years ago by a colleague in I.T.

It didn't take me long to realize I hate creating batch files so I did a google search for 'robocopy gui' and voila.

There are these:

Robogui
copyrite xp
rich copy

Some are free but the pay versions are reasonably priced.

Rich Copy is free and does not use Robocopy but it is pretty decent and was developed by a man from Microsoft.

CopyRite XP is fantastic but it's almost $20.00 :( I sprung for it and am happy with it) YMMV.

A quick Google search will yield results so I won't post any URLs here.

I am a gui guy so I love these options.
Simon Sheppard

Re: Robocopy /IM

Post by Simon Sheppard »

@workablob, from your email address it looks very much like you may in fact be David Kendrick the author of copyrite xp and you have been spamming this identical message around multiple IT forums which mention robocopy, it is not a good look.

Also the website for copyrite xp is currently down, so maybe think about fixing that first!