if (file wasn't modified in the last week) do stuff [delete folder]

Post by MigrationUser »

09 Jul 2007 16:07
daat99

At the moment all I can achieve is to get the file time like:
echo %%~tfile

which can return for example:
07/04/2007 01:51 PM

I want to check if this returned date and time is older than 1 week or not (if so then I want to delete the file).

Is there a way to acomplish that in a batch file?

Thanks in advanced
daat99

I always try to help wink
Sometimes I don't know how sad

----------------------------

#2 09 Jul 2007 18:37
Simon Sheppard

Use the delolder script

https://ss64.com/nt/syntax-delolder.html

delolder.cmd 7 "C:\Log Files\somefile.txt"

#3 09 Jul 2007 21:16
daat99
Simon Sheppard wrote:

Use the delolder script

https://ss64.com/nt/syntax-delolder.html

delolder.cmd 7 "C:\Log Files\somefile.txt"
The problem I'm having is that I want to delete the entire folder if it contains a specific file (by file name) that wasn't modified in the last 7 days.

If we'll present the entire case then it'll be like this:

Consider "Documents and Settings" folder that is filled with ~100 (probably more) new user profiles on a day to day basis (usually not the same profiles).

About 25% of those were modified in the last 7 days and due to that fact I want to leave the modified profiles alone.
As for the other profiles (with the exception of profiles that are listed in file called "DoNotDelete.txt" in a safe location which can be modified from time to time) I want to delete all the user profile folders in the "Documents and Settings" folder.

At the moment I have everything working great with the exception of the "older than 7 days" part.
That means that we delete all the profiles in the directory that aren't listed in the "DoNotDelete.txt" file regardless of when they were created.

The batch file algorithm (maybe you'll have insights on how to improve it tongue) is like this:
Current:

Run on all the folders inside the "Documents and Settings" folder and for each folder do:
1. set Ignore=false
2. Run on the lines in file "DoNotDelete.txt" and for each line do:
2.1. if line equ folder do: set Ignore=true
3. if Ignore equ true do: delete folder

What I hope it'll be after the change is like this:

Expected:

Run on all the folders inside the "Documents and Settings" folder and for each folder do:
1. set Ignore=false
2. if folder\ntuser.dat older then 7 days do: set Ignore=true
3. if ignore equ false do: Run on the lines in file "DoNotDelete.txt" and for each line do:
3.1. if line equ folder do: set Ignore=true
4. if Ignore equ true do: delete folder

Note the changes in bold.

I hope you can help me accomplish that goal.
Thank you in advanced for all your great work and huge help.
daat99

Last edited by daat99 (09 Jul 2007 21:41)

#4 10 Jul 2007 14:25
bluesxman

I'd use robocopy to create a list of "ntuser.dat" files over 7 days old, then work through that list comparing it to the entries in your exclusions file and delete anything that doesn't match.

Something like this:

Code: Select all

@echo off

setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

set dummydir=DUMMY_DIR_%date:/=%_%time::=%
set tempfile=%~dpn0.tmp
set exclude=%~dp0\DoNotDelete.txt

robocopy /njs /ts /njh /fp /ndl /ns /nc /s /l /lev:2 /minage:7 /IA:RASHCNETO "%allusersprofile%\.." "%temp%\%dummydir%" ntuser.dat > "%tempfile%"

for /f "usebackq tokens=2*" %%a in ("%tempfile%") do (
    set _fullpath=%%~dpb
    call :get_username "!_fullpath:~0,-1!"
    set skip=
    for /f "usebackq tokens=*" %%x in ("%exclude%") do if /i "!_username!" EQU "%%~x" set skip=1
    if not defined skip (
        echo:Remove: !_fullpath!
ECHO:    rmdir /s /q "!_fullpath!"
    ) ELSE (echo:Skip  : !_fullpath!)
)

del "%tempfile%"

goto :EOF

:get_username

set _username=%~nx1

goto :EOF
The above expects "DoNotDelete.txt" to be in the same directory as the script and for it to take this format:
All Users
Default User
Administrator
And you'll need to download "robocopy", if you haven't already. The above was written expecting ROBOCOPY Version XP010 ... using it other versions may not work as expected.

NB - Leave the "ECHO:" on the "rmdir" line in until you've tested thoroughly and you're happy it's "removing" and "skipping" to your satisfaction!

Last edited by bluesxman (10 Jul 2007 15:38)

cmd | *sh | ruby | chef

#5 10 Jul 2007 17:02
daat99

Thank you very much bluesxman, that looks great smile

Just one question though, is it possible to achieve this goal without robocopy?
We work with ghost images quite a lot and I prefer not to tell the person that make the images that he needs to change them to include robocopy sad

#6 11 Jul 2007 09:03
bluesxman

Surely they are going to have to modify their images anyway to include, at the very least, the tidy-up script above and, presumably, the scheduled task you'll set up to run it?

If you're going to add these things post build instead (or use them from a shared location or something), then I see no reason why "robocopy" can't be introduced in the same fashion.

But enough poking holes in your story. wink

To address your actual question:

I'm sure you could use a modified version of Simon's DELOLDER script to produce a list without the need for robocopy.

Another way that you might be able to achieve your ends with "standard" commands would be this:

Set up a scheduled task or AT job that, once every 7 days (or whatever), runs a script to check the "ntuser.dat" file attributes for the "Archive" flag (see the FOR and ATTRIB command syntax for two possible ways to establish this information). Any which don't have it set you'd delete as per my script above. At the end of the script you'd remove the flag from any "ntuser.dat" files that remain. Any "ntuser.dat" files which are modified in the intervening period will have the flag set "on" by the operating system and thus would not qualify for removal. This idea would not be workable if you wanted to run the clean-up every day, as the period between runs controls which profiles are in line for removal.

cmd | *sh | ruby | chef

#7 11 Jul 2007 19:12
Simon Sheppard

OK my first thought is that this may be a bad idea - in my experience there are a surprising no. of users who login to a machine once a month or go on maternity leave etc
deleting all those profiles can become a support nightmare.

If these are roaming profiles then you can use delprof /R (which will miss out the 'All Users' etc) but a better option is to look into all the policy settings you can set to configure caching and retention of roaming profiles (thats what we do)

#8 11 Jul 2007 20:28
daat99
bluesxman wrote:

Surely they are going to have to modify their images anyway to include, at the very least, the tidy-up script above and, presumably, the scheduled task you'll set up to run it?
They're running from a network share manually, no scheduled tasks and no modified image files wink
bluesxman wrote:

If you're going to add these things post build instead (or use them from a shared location or something), then I see no reason why "robocopy" can't be introduced in the same fashion.
That sounds like a good solution, can I simply copy robocopy.exe file to the shared folder and use it from there with your script algorithm?
bluesxman wrote:
Another way that you might be able to achieve your ends with "standard" commands would be this:

Set up a scheduled task or AT job that, once every 7 days (or whatever), runs a script to check the "ntuser.dat" file attributes for the "Archive" flag (see the FOR and ATTRIB command syntax for two possible ways to establish this information). Any which don't have it set you'd delete as per my script above. At the end of the script you'd remove the flag from any "ntuser.dat" files that remain. Any "ntuser.dat" files which are modified in the intervening period will have the flag set "on" by the operating system and thus would not qualify for removal. This idea would not be workable if you wanted to run the clean-up every day, as the period between runs controls which profiles are in line for removal.
That sounds really interesting, I'll look into it regardless if I'll use this method or the one you suggested above (robocopy in the network share).
Simon Sheppard wrote:

OK my first thought is that this may be a bad idea - in my experience there are a surprising no. of users who login to a machine once a month or go on maternity leave etc
deleting all those profiles can become a support nightmare.

If these are roaming profiles then you can use delprof /R (which will miss out the 'All Users' etc) but a better option is to look into all the policy settings you can set to configure caching and retention of roaming profiles (thats what we do)
The profiles aren't roaming profiles but they should not contain any information that is important for more then 2 days.
At the moment we delete all the profiles regardless when the user logged in last (even profiles that were used 5 minutes before the cleanup will be deleted).
The reason that I'm trying to achieve "time delay" for the account deletions is to let users that use the same computer on a day to day basis retain their own windows settings (wallpaper, desktop links, programs settings...) which aren't vital to the operation of the accounts but can help the users a bit.

Thank you both for all your great help, I'll try to get these things rolling next week when I get back to work.
If you have any more brilliant ideas (like those you had so far) please let me know about them wink

Thanks in advanced
daat99

#9 12 Jul 2007 09:36
bluesxman
daat99 wrote:

That sounds like a good solution, can I simply copy robocopy.exe file to the shared folder and use it from there with your script algorithm?
Should be fine, if it's in the same directory as the script (or somewhere on the PATH). To be safe, you could modify the beginning of the robocopy line to force it to look only in the script's directory, thus:

Code: Select all

"%~dp0\robocopy.exe"
Be sure to include the double quotes just in case there's a space in the path to the network location.

Last edited by bluesxman (12 Jul 2007 09:37)

cmd | *sh | ruby | chef

#10 12 Jul 2007 11:16
daat99
bluesxman wrote:
daat99 wrote:

Should be fine, if it's in the same directory as the script (or somewhere on the PATH). To be safe, you could modify the beginning of the robocopy line to force it to look only in the script's directory, thus:

"%~dp0\robocopy.exe"
Be sure to include the double quotes just in case there's a space in the path to the network location.
I will do that, thanks a lot