Robocopy - ERROR 5 help

Microsoft Windows
MigrationUser

Robocopy - ERROR 5 help

Post by MigrationUser »

29 Apr 2008 15:46
drifty

I am trying to copy a server share to an external drive and keep getting:
ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Getting File System Type of Source \\it-corpfs1\Home\fsmith\
Access is denied.

It looks like the files were copied (at least some of them). Anyone know what this is caused by and is there any way to fix it?

Thanks
Frank

----------------------------

#2 30 Apr 2008 10:36
bluesxman

New one on me.

The "Access is denied" error would initially make me look at permissions and such things.

Is the remote box a samba server, perchance? I ask because there seem to be other people getting this message, when using that; see here.

Last edited by bluesxman (30 Apr 2008 10:38)

cmd | *sh | ruby | chef

#3 30 Apr 2008 13:42
drifty

The remote (source) is a file server running XP. The destination is a 120GB external drive connected by a USB cable.
-Frank

#4 30 Apr 2008 16:52
bluesxman

These are kinda long-shot guesses, but they're based on my own experience, so you never know.

Is the external drive powered by the USB bus, or does it have its own power supply connected?

If it's bus powered, the heavy disk activity could be drawing too much power from a low powered USB socket. I've found laptops and front mounted USB ports can provide less peak power than required -- you'll generally wind up getting lots of "delayed write failure" messages on the hosting machine. Hell I've even had an HDD device plugged into a rear mounted USB port on a tower PC go a bit squiffy when I tried to hassle it too much (plugging in its external power supply quickly fixed the issue).

Does the USB drive connect through the USB ports on a monitor?

Some monitors will cut the power to their internal USB hub when the monitor is switched off, or goes into power saving, resulting in a disconnected USB device.

I'll see if I can think up some other far-fetched ideas if the above are no good. wink

cmd | *sh | ruby | chef

#5 30 Apr 2008 20:59
drifty

The USB is connected to a hub and does not have its own power. So I think that idea is about as close as we can get. I will try it with a external drive and power to see if that works.
Thanks for all the help on this.