Robocopy, Rich Copy, and long UNC paths

Microsoft Windows
MigrationUser

Robocopy, Rich Copy, and long UNC paths

Post by MigrationUser »

10 Jan 2011 18:53
ww

When I use Rich Copy, it sometimes aborts with a "file not found" error, on certain files. This was odd, because Rich Copy obtained all the filenames from its own search of the source directory I specified, not from any filenames I entered. So it learned of a file to copy by searching the directory, then tried copying it and was informed by the OS that the file didn't exist. One pattern I find with those files is that they had very long UNC paths, though of course that might or might not be the actual cause of the errors.

Later, I found that the fully updated version of the Retrospect backup program crashes when trying to back up the very same files. It crashes without reporting an error, and sometimes even crashes the entire system (Windows XP pro).

Still later, I came across posts about Robocopy which say (1) that UNC paths with >256 characters are now supported (implying that maybe they weren't before), and (2) a comparison of the /z, /b and /zb switches, which implies that some files can't be copied in Restart mode (and Backup mode might be required). When I use Robocopy, with the /zb switch, the files with the long UNC paths are copied properly.

I am wondering whether this issue of very long UNC paths has been an ongoing problem in file copy and backup programs, and whether I should suspect that problem when trying to debug both the Rich Copy and the Retrospect failures.

Thank you

----------------------------

#2 11 Jan 2011 10:50
Chimaera

Re: Robocopy, Rich Copy, and long UNC paths

Its probably down to windows is using the files, which is why it cant copy them.

Robocopy can work round this problem

I have had problems with long filename paths before now as well

Chimaera