You are not logged in.

#1 20 Oct 2009 19:11

Ludd

Linux Based One Laptop per Child XO Computer

Hello: I obtained two XO computers through the Get One Give One program. These are well built all solid state machines. They use a Linux based OS called Sugar, although they say plans are in the works for a more familiar OS or at least a GUI like Gnome. You can find out more by visiting www.laptop.org and www.sugarlabs.org. (among numerous other forums, blogs, etc. devoted to this system)

The XO comes with a Terminal "Activity" (their term for program or application) which has many of the basic commands. I found though that nothing worked according to this SS64 Command Man/Help/Info description under GNU/Bash tab :wall:. This omission was probably to save memory. I could, for instance, get help on cd (an "internal" command) but nothing on ls (an "external" command). These categories can be frustrating :pc:.

I am a LINUX newbie, so am slowly learning the commands. I find the straightforward style in the "Command line reference: Database and Operating Systems" of  each command listed in alphabetical order helpful. Not having a photographic memory i find it very valuable to print each page with a command i am learning. This is probably the most understandable reference/tutorial i have found. 

Does anybody else have an XO computer? Would it be worthwhile to list the external and internal commands available, perhaps on an XO tab? wink

Regards

Last edited by Ludd (20 Oct 2009 19:13)

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man's mind.

Board footer