You are not logged in.

#1 21 Feb 2008 23:29

rumrunner439

ok im a newbie take it easy on me :)

i logged into my server thru putty and i was told to do this but everytime i do the ./configure it says bash:  ./configure

no such file or directory and same with make and make install im donw to 3 modules to install on my server and im so

lost now  if anyones good with this and dont mind givin me a few pointers you can IM or skype me sn rumrunner439

on msn yahoo or skype id appreciate it, this is for a video and music share site and its down till i get this done :pc:

thanks Cody or anyone know any place i can post or read how to do this?

2) Executed the following commands for Mplayer:
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
cd mplayer/
make
make install

3) Download and install lame source files:
wget http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefor … .97.tar.gz
tar zxvf lame-3.97.tar.gz
cd lame-3.97/
./configure
make
make install

4) Download and install flvtool2
wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/1 … -1.0.6.tgz
tar zxvf flvtool2-1.0.6.tgz
cd flvtool2-1.0.6/
ruby setup.rb config
ruby setup.rb setup
rubt setup.rb install

5) install codecs
cd /usr/local/lib/codecs/
./configure
make
make install

#2 22 Feb 2008 12:02

Simon Sheppard
Admin
Website

Re: ok im a newbie take it easy on me :)

Which Linux distribution are you running? And what version?

#3 09 Jul 2008 06:22

derek_m

sad  me too! I am trying to install Xastir 1.9.2 on to PuppyLinux 4.0 and I am getting the same problems with "configure", "make" and "make install", just to name a few.
Back in the DOS days it was possible to set a PATH so that Commands could be used at any level in the Directory/Folder structure. Is there a similar facility in Linux? I am finding it difficult to locate some of the Commands from the # prompt. [Simon, I have downloaded your listing of BASH Commands and have been trying to run them from the Command Line. This is where I come unstuck except when using "pwd" and "ls".

Simon, your help will be much appreciated and your response will probably fix up 2 newbies in one go!

Derek

#4 09 Jul 2008 18:19

Simon Sheppard
Admin
Website

When you run configure you are running a script, not a command
The configure script should be one of the files unzipped as part of the package you are about to install, this is why you need to be in the right directory - you don't want to run some other configure.

./configure
Will make the shell run the script named 'configure' which must exist in the current directory.

All that configure does is check your system and assign values for system-dependent variables - you should see a bunch of messages scroll down the screen as it runs. If any major requirements are missing on your system, the configure script should exit and give you a warning about what failed.

#5 09 Jul 2008 18:43

MattIsGod
Website

wow i knew all that but it still didnt work for some programs i was trying to install no wonder i went back to windows.... lol and i talk up linux so much... but seriously i used to run my computer for months unend with linux that shit is stable.... lol i guess it depends on distro. my distro was solid but a few config scripts wouldnt run no matter what... i guess i'm not used to unix bash commands and things of that such

#6 23 Jul 2009 07:36

dhanalakshmi

hi,
i have a file with data between start and stop tags in vertical format .
i want to read the data between the tags and write it into a new file in horizontal format using shell scripting.

can anyone pls help me with this ?

Board footer