Manufacturers serial number from attached usb drive

Microsoft Windows
MigrationUser

Manufacturers serial number from attached usb drive

Post by MigrationUser »

17 Jun 2014 19:53
drifty

I have been trying to use wmic to return the manufactures serial number from an attached usb drive.
This doesn't seem to work on the CMS drives that i have been using. The drives are usb 2 and do not have any applications or special formatting. Is it possible to find and return the serial number from these drives using a batch file?

----------------------------

#2 18 Jun 2014 12:56
bluesxman

I don't have a USB drive to hand to check, but I'm presuming you have tried and failed with something like this?

Code: Select all

wmic diskdrive get caption,serialnumber
cmd | *sh | ruby | chef

#3 18 Jun 2014 14:16
foxidrive

It works here with usb 3 drives.

#4 18 Jun 2014 17:54
Simon Sheppard

That works, but you may run into this bug with some USB drives

"Invalid XML content" error message when you run a WMIC command in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664203

#5 23 Jun 2014 14:03
drifty

I did not think the XML error applied because the error was not returned when I tried the CMS drive. However after plugging in a 3GB Verbatim drive the XML error was returned. I applied the HotFix and re-booted, then run the wmic command. Now the result for the Verbatim drive and the CMS - 1TB drive (plugged into usb 2 slot on a Windows 7 x64 laptop) is:

Code: Select all

Caption                                            SerialNumber
SK  hynix SH920 mSA SCSI Disk Device  EI41N1776141O1309
AS2105 USB Device                            S25TSQO43
Verbatim STORE N GO USB Device
I know the CMS drive (AS2105 USB Device) has a serial number 70616700495 but that does not display.

Thank you for the replies

#6 23 Jun 2014 16:14
drifty

Update from CMS
It took awhile but CMS replied to the question I asked about returning the serial number. It looks like that is not possible.
Their reply:
"Unfortunately that will not be possible because the serial number that is added to the CMS drives are only created at the time that a product is assembled and it is for internal use only (verifying product warranty)."

Thanks for the help on this.
-Frank