You are not logged in.

#1 15 Jun 2014 07:20

krishnadixit

Findstr:Batch to find String (all lines) between two fixed characters

Hi Gurus,

I am totally new to DOS. Infact I am a Java guy. I need to do some string search operations but unfortunately string search & file search operation in java is considerably slow. And its very fast in OS.

So here is my problem. I need to find some files with fixed extension (.sp) for strings (lines) between 2 fixed characters. They are ';' & ';'
Here is the content of one of .sp file.

File:- Tons.sp

line 1: Skipcheck;
line 2: [Scenario:'Actual']=STET;
line 3: ['WFS':'Actual','Scenario':'Actual','Measure':'Units']=N:
line 4: IF( SUBST( !Measure, 1, 1) @= '8'
line 5: ,
line 6:     ['Amount']
line 7: ,
line 8:    STET
line 9: );
line10: 
line11: ['Tons'] = N:
line12: DB('Volume Master',!Version,!Year,!Plant,'GL_CODE_0004',!Period,!Measure) ;
line13: 
line14: ['Group1_Volume'] = N:
line15: IF ( ELISANC( 'Plant', 'Group1' , !Plant )=1 
line16:     , ['Take_This']
line17:    , CONTINUE
line18: );
line19: 
line20: ['Tons Trend']=N:
line21: IF( DB('Monthly_Trend', !Period, 'Tons_Trend_Factor') > 0
line22: , 'Current_Tons' * DB('Volume Master',!Version,!Year,!Plant,'GL_CODE_TonsProduced',!Period,!Measure) 
line23: , CONTINUE
line24: );

Please Note: line numbers are just for indication.

Problem 1: Now I need to find the string (all lines) that lie between ';' & ';' that contains string "DB('Volume Master'"
ie.: The findstring will be something like this:-
FINDSTR /n "=*DB('Volume Master'*;" *.sp

The result of above command should be line 11 to 12  & line 20 to 24

line12: DB('Volume Master',!Version,!Year,!Plant,'GL_CODE_0004',!Period,!Measure) ;

&

line22: , 'Current_Tons' * DB('Volume Master',!Version,!Year,!Plant,'GL_CODE_TonsProduced',!Period,!Measure) 

Problem 2: The output of this:-
FINDSTR /n "=*DB('Volume Master'*'GL_CODE_TonsProduced'*;" *.sp

would be:-

Please help. Thanks
Krishna

#2 15 Jun 2014 09:49

foxidrive

Re: Findstr:Batch to find String (all lines) between two fixed characters

krishnadixit wrote:

So here is my problem. I need to find some files with fixed extension (.sp) for strings (lines) between 2 fixed characters. They are ';' & ';'

Problem 1: Now I need to find the string (all lines) that lie between ';' & ';' that contains string "DB('Volume Master'"
ie.: The findstring will be something like this:-
FINDSTR /n "=*DB('Volume Master'*;" *.sp

The result of above command should be line 11 to 12  & line 20 to 24

You have written between two semicolons ; but the line you have shown doesn't have a semicolon anywhere except at the end.

Explain how your line11 and line12 appears when you are matching text between two semicolons

It seems that you are trying to perform multi-line compares, but in that case line10 should appear as well, and line 12 should not have the semicolon at the end.

Last edited by foxidrive (15 Jun 2014 09:52)

#3 15 Jun 2014 16:18

krishnadixit

Hi foxidrive,

you are right line 10, should also appear. Sorry, my bad. And for 2nd string match pattern line 19 to 24 should appear. I have done it in java but its slow. I need to search about 300 files of 1 mb each which is heavy for java. And I am sure findstr will do it considerable faster.

Can you please help.

Thanx!

#4 16 Jun 2014 09:48

foxidrive

It would be useful to know the kind of variation there can be in the text in the files, and how many occurrences of the string there can be per file.

Plain batch relies heavily on the format of the files - and findstr is not designed to to multi-line compares, though it can be forced to do so if the makeup of the files is clearly defined.

Board footer