How do I display ascii art in lynx with the use of aalib?

Microsoft Windows
MigrationUser

How do I display ascii art in lynx with the use of aalib?

Post by MigrationUser »

16 Apr 2014 01:37
Evanator

From the first time I saw the lynx text-based browser, I wanted it to display pictures in text art. Why it doesn't already, or why it's seemingly impossible to work out, is beyond me. So I ask of whoever has any idea on how to do this, please, try finding a way for lynx (or any other text mode web browser) to display ascii art instead of flat out ignoring pictures.

Here is the link to the aalib homepage.
Here is the link to the Lynx homepage.

----------------------------

#2 16 Apr 2014 08:49
foxidrive

What's the issue with them and ascii art?

You need to use a proportional/monospaced font to display ascii art, but given that then any browser will display them.

#3 16 Apr 2014 14:15
Evanator
foxidrive wrote:

What's the issue with them and ascii art?

You need to use a proportional/monospaced font to display ascii art, but given that then any browser will display them.
I don't see how that answer is relevant to my problem. I'm asking if there's a way to automatically convert pictures to ascii art instead of simply ignoring them, in the lynx browser. The font already is monospaced, in fact, Lucida Console is the font I prefer while writing essays.

#4 16 Apr 2014 21:08
einstein1969

Hi Evanator,

I know aalib and the famous demo BB. I agree. There is a possibility but i think that need to make too much work.

I have worked on a image viewer but in dos batch (wich is very slow). More of the work need to do in assembler+C* i think. In this time the FLASHPlayer is the more used in browser and i think that necessary an emulator that output in ascii art or other method.

Maybe someone has already done it ...

Edit: usefull?

einstein1969

Last edited by einstein1969 (17 Apr 2014 16:03)

#5 17 Apr 2014 05:55

foxidrive

I don't know of any regular browser that can display images as ascii art - is there one?

Last edited by foxidrive (17 Apr 2014 05:56)

#6 17 Apr 2014 17:26

einstein1969
foxidrive wrote:

I don't know of any regular browser that can display images as ascii art - is there one?
I don't know too.

I have searched and have found this extension (from this article)

but not talk about images in ascii art and I can't prove :(

The aalib has "aview" a browsing image in ascii art. If configure Lynx you can load the image with aview. On aalib's project home there is a link for download files for a porting on DOS. But i don't know other...

einstein1969

#7 23 Apr 2014 22:15

Evanator

Hey, can someone get a download link for a windows port of aalib/aview? That might help a lot, if I know how to work the lynx.cfg file.

#8 01 May 2014 12:42
einstein1969

seem work on seven 32:

Port windows 32 aalib [aview+BB]

I don't know if work on 64 bit...

Let me know if is ok...

einstein1969